أقسام المدونة

Thursday 6 February 2014

First Conditional


Good morning,
How are you today?
And how good is your knowledge of the first conditional? We are going to be looking at this tense, together with if, when, unless and as soon as. Ready?
To talk about real possibilities in the future, we can use if + present simple + will/can/should/may (and other modal verbs).
If it rains, I will stay at home.
If he stays in Madrid, he should learn Spanish.
If it rains I won’t go out, if it doesn’t, I will.

Unless

Unless is used to say what will happen, be done, or be true if something else does not happen, is not done, or is not true.
Unless it rains, I will go out”.

When

When is used at or during the time that something happens. We use when to show that a situation is 100% certain.
When I wake up tomorrow I will go to the gym”.

As soon as

We use “as soon as” to say when something should be done, how often something should happen, etc. It is used to emphasize an event.
“I’ll tell him as soon as I see him”.

ifFirst conditionals can also describe events that are always true, for example: “If prices were lower, people would buy more”. This is a fact.
To talk about events that are always true, we can also use zero conditionals. Do you remember what they are? Zero conditionals are if + present simple + present simple.
For example:
If I have time, I go to the gym.”
If you don’t drink water for a week, you die“.
Ok, any questions? Let us know!

Disqus for TH3 PROFESSIONAL SECURITY